when lindsey met reality

a somewhat young girl who takes each day as it comes while leaning on God, her massive make-up collection and romantic comedies...

Friday, November 03, 2006

a new perspective





On November 15th my church, Sumner Life, is heading off to the "city that never sleeps" for a missions trip that is bound to open our eyes and hearts. This will be my Ninth trip to New York but this will be the first time I will be experiencing another part of culture that the city has to offer...the homeless population. According to the New York School of Urban Ministry, New York city has over 100,000 homeless people surviving on the streets of this small island. In the past I have seen a tiny part of this population, but I have overlooked them thinking that this was just part of the city. New York City=lots of homeless people. I have never taken the time to wonder why they are living out there. I will admit to taking an ignorant view point on this subject, at times, where I have said, "they could get a job if they really wanted to." For some of these people, that is most certainly the case. But for others, there have been devastating circumstances that have led them to this way of life. And then there is me, walking around with my credit cards and my $1000 that I have saved specifically just to blow on shoes and purses, completely ignoring that these people could ever need anything from me. And I have seen them, sleeping under garbage against walls with no socks on, and I have just looked as them as part of the ambiance of the city. I am ashamed.So, I am looking forward to this trip to allow me to see this city that I love in a new way. I have always said that I loved the city for its diversity...now I will be putting that statement to the test. Pray for me and the team from Sumner Life as we go.

1 Comments:

Blogger TAB said...

Hey Girl and Welcome to Blogspot! I am glad you are getting to go to New York. You are going to be so blessed! I am glad to have you as my roommate! Love you!!!!!!!!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home